Thursday, December 2, 2010

Turkey-Palooza

Had enough turkey yet?  Not me.  I'm always looking for ways to reinvent my Thanksgiving leftovers.  Although, I am nearing the end of my supply.  Luckily, I had enough to whip up a turkey pot pie.  Just the right supper for a cold and dreary day.

I made this pot pie with a biscuit crust because I did not feel like rolling out pie dough, but if you feel more energetic than me, here's my recipe for pie crust.

I cooked the filling in a cast-iron skillet, topped with biscuit dough and baked it in the oven in the same pan.  You can easily transfer the filling to a baking dish before topping with biscuit dough, or us a deep-dish pie pan and put pastry crust underneath and on top of filling.

Turkey Pot Pie with Cheesy Biscuit Crust
Serves 4 to 6

Filling:
3 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups chicken or turkey stock
1 potato, diced
2 cups shredded turkey
1/2 cup peas and/or other leftover vegetables (be sure to dice, if needed)
1 Tbsp dried parsley
salt and pepper, to taste

Melt butter in saucepan and cook onion until tender.


Add celery, carrots, and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.


Add flour and cook another 2 minutes to thicken.  Add potatoes and stock and simmer until tender.



Stir in turkey and any vegetables you want to add.  Turn off heat.  Stir in parsley, salt, and pepper.


Crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarse ground pepper
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
6 Tbsp butter
1 1/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Stir together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper.  Add cheeses and mix to coat.  Blend in butter with pastry cutter or fingers until mixture resembles peas.  Pour in buttermilk and stir until all sticks together.  Drop biscuit dough by spoonful onto filling.  Don't worry about total coverage.






Bake until the biscuit topping is puffy and golden brown and filling is bubbly, probably 35 to 40 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment