Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Birthday Scones

Yesterday was my friend Virginia's birthday.  I learned her favorite flavor combination is chocolate and lavender so my plan was to make her a special birthday treat.   Unfortunately, I could not find the lavender in my spice cabinet.  Struggling with a cold, I didn't feel up to a major lavender hunt so I decided to just be creative with what I had on hand and give her a raincheck on the chocolate lavender dessert.

With the combination of a foggy Benedryl brain and refrigerator scavenging, I came up with these scones for my friend to enjoy for breakfast.  I hope you like them, too.

Goat Cheese Scones with Strawberry Jam
Makes 6 to 8 scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp white granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
3/4 to 1 cup milk (low-fat is okay)
1/2 cup goat cheese
1/2 to 3/4 cup strawberry jam (I used homemade strawberry-orange jam)
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.


Add butter and blend with fingers, pastry blender, two knives, or food processor until mixture resembles small peas.

Add milk and crumble in goat cheese.  Stir until mixture comes together into a slightly sticky dough ball.  Add a bit more milk, if it doesn't stick together.

Turn dough out onto floured surface, and roll out into rectangular shape about 1/2-inch thick.  Spread strawberry jam onto one half of the dough rectangle.


Fold dough over onto itself to cover the jam and lightly pinch together ends.  With a sharp knife, cut the rectangle into 6 or 8 triangles.


Transfer to prepared baking sheet, leaving space in between.  Brush tops of triangles with beaten egg and sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.


Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until scones are lightly golden on top.

Cool for a few minutes on baking sheet before transferring to wire rack or serving.


Best eaten quickly...

2 comments:

  1. These are amazing. You can really taste the goat cheese, which goes really well with the strawberry jam! Thank you, Katie, for making me such a wonderful birthday treat!

    ps-Lavendar can be hard to find. In the DC area I've found it at Dean and Deluca and World Market, but I hear the World Market is closed at Pentagon City?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very kind, thank you, Virginia! I am glad you enjoy them.

    Good tips...I will check there first!

    ReplyDelete