Sunday, March 14, 2010

Best Ever White Frosting



Our good friend Virginia turned thirty this weekend, and I wanted to make her a special birthday cake so she knows how much she means to us. I chose a red velvet layer cake topped with fluffy white frosting and my husband added fresh strawberries. I wasn't too pleased with the cake, but the frosting turned out better than expected.

I've tried for several years to recreate the white frosting my Aunt Ruthie made, and finally feel I was successful. I'll keep working on the red velvet cake recipe and post it sometime in the future. This white frosting would work with just about any kind of cake. I had some left over and I used it to frost some chocolate cupcakes the next day. Enjoy!

3 egg whites
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup Karo white syrup
1 Tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla (you could use another flavoring like almond or lemon extract or even coffee)

Put ingredients in double boiler over cold water. Start beating with electric beater and turn on the burner at same time. Beat until it stands in stiff, glossy peaks. This varies in time, as some eggs whip faster than others.

The frosting will come out glossy and fluffy almost like marshmallow. You could also add a few drops of food coloring and fold it in gently, if you wanted a color other than white.

The birthday girl seemed to enjoy it. And, I think Aunt Ruthie would be proud....


No comments:

Post a Comment