Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Luck of the Irish


Continuing with the St. Patty's Day theme....

We enjoy holidays in our house, and I like to make special meals for each one. It is a tradition from my childhood that we eat corned beef and cabbage, and I'm continuing it with my husband. I crave this dish all year long.

I cook mine on the stove top, boiling it all (beef, cabbage, onions, carrots, and potatoes) in a big pot, but my brother prefers to braise it in the oven.

My husband is very keen on sauces, and because I couldn't bear to watch him dip corned beef in ketchup and hot sauce, I created some special sauces just for him.

Guinness Mustard
This is just what it sounds. I took a hearty brown mustard and added a bit of garlic and a few splashes of Guinness beer, and stirred briskly. Then, I sat down and drank the rest of the beer.

Horseradish Cream
Take one cup of sour cream, add prepared horseradish to taste (I used about 4 Tbsp.), and a splash of dill pickle juice, then stir briskly. Top with chopped dill and chives. Creamy and a little spicy...

I think next year I will try to create corned beef from scratch. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment