Monday, April 12, 2010

Lighter Side of Breakfast


Breakfast is important to me. I'm just not myself without starting my day with coffee, a newspaper, and a little something to eat. Just ask my husband... However, I don't usually like a heavy meal in the morning, so muffins are perfect. I can make them one morning and they last for several days and provide just the right amount of sustenance.

This recipe is a favorite in our house...in fact, my husband regularly requested them when we were dating.



Oat Bran Applesauce Muffins
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups oat bran cereal (I use Hodgson Mill)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs or 4 egg whites
1 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp flaxseed meal

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper, or grease muffin cups. Mix all ingredients until well-blended. Spoon into muffin tin and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.

These are best warm. You can expect them to keep for two to three days in an airtight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment