Thursday, June 17, 2010

Granita for Grown-ups

I often get a little carried away at the farmer's market and it can be a struggle not to purchase more produce than we can use in a timely fashion.  Case in point - I picked up some locally-grown blueberries recently without a clear idea of what I would make with them.  They just looked yummy.  I started planning to make some more popsicles, but decided that I would rather have something with a bit more adult sophistication, instead.  Enter the blueberry basil granita.

With a recipe from Epicurious as my guide, I picked basil from our backyard to provide an herbal element that pairs well with fruit.  And with a nod to my dark side, I added a splash (or three) of citrus vodka.

Blueberry Basil Granita
Makes 4 servings

1 pint fresh blueberries
1/2 cup water
8 fresh basil leaves
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp lime zest
4 tsp honey
2 1/2 Tbsp citrus vodka (optional)



Wash the blueberries and pick out any stems.



Blitz all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.


Pour into an airtight container and freeze until slushy.  My batch took about 3 hours to reach the right consistency.



Scoop out into individual servings.




If you are feeling sophisticated, too, you can garnish each serving with a sprig of basil or a couple more blueberries.  If you are not feeling sophisticated, stick out your tongue stained blue with berry juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment