Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Vacation Recovery

You know how it can be when you are on vacation.  You don't always eat what you should, you certainly don't exercise like you should, and you usually drink way too much.  Well, my husband and I just returned from a mini-vacation and we are feeling the effects.

On the drive home, we swore we would be eating salad all week.  I even suggested we start having a meatless meal at least once a week this summer.  Then, we unloaded the car, walked the dogs, took a nap, and promptly ordered pizza.  With sausage.

I awoke this morning with a renewed sense of discipline, however.  I wanted to make a nice bowl of oatmeal with apple, but I decided it was a bit too warm for that.  (We live in an older house and the air conditioning doesn't work as well as we would like.)  So, I thought oatmeal muffins would be a nice compromise.  We still get some of the heart healthy fiber, but in a lighter portion.  Plus, I added flaxseed!

Now, about that salad...

Post-Vacation Oatmeal Muffins
Makes 8 to 12 regular-sized muffins

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk
1/8 cup canola oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl combine flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and flaxseed.


Make a well in the center and add beaten egg, milk, and canola oil.  Stir until moistened, leaving the batter somewhat lumpy.


Lightly spray muffin tin with cooking spray or line with baking cups.  Fill each well no more than 2/3 full.  I elected to make smaller muffins to better control our portions, so I filled each no more than 1/2 full.


Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden in color.


These are best served while still warm, but the muffins will keep in an airtight container for a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment