Friday, July 2, 2010

Cantaloupe Agua Fresca

My brother came over yesterday to help me with a project, and he brought a cantaloupe with him.  It was ripe and juicy, but he was less than satisfied with its mealy texture.  He figured I could come up with something to do with it, and he hoped it would involve vodka.

As a matter of fact, little brother, I do have something in mind and why, yes it can incorporate vodka.  We can fix that texture problem, too.  How about some agua fresca?

What is agua fresca, you ask?  It is a popular beverage in Mexico (and I understand across Central America) of fruit or vegetables with sugar and water.  Easy and refreshing.  I drank them a lot when I lived in Austin.  It was a cooling drink after eating spicy tacos, or when I wanted a sweet treat while slaving away in downtown.

But you don't have to go to Mexico, or even Austin to enjoy agua fresca.  You can easily make it at home.

Cantaloupe Agua Fresca

1 cantaloupe, peeled, sliced
1/3 cup sugar
4 cups water


Blitz the cantaloupe and sugar in a blender.  Pour into a pitcher and add 4 cups of water.  Stir well.


Serve over ice and pour in some vodka or rum.  My brother and I prefer citron vodka with the cantaloupe.  However, it is just as yummy without the booze.

No comments:

Post a Comment