Monday, July 19, 2010

The Day the Brisket Came to Stay

Readers of this blog may recall that my husband and I used a hard suitcase to bring back barbeque beef brisket from our last trip to Texas.  Well, no more, my friends!

As an early birthday present, my husband gave me a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker and we used it this weekend to smoke an incredibly delicious beef brisket.  Of course, the lack of a smoker was not the only reason we smuggled Texas style barbeque in a meatcase.  We also had not yet found a decent supply of large briskets at a reasonable price.  After some diligent research, my husband found a local supplier and MeatFest 2 was born.  We invited some friends over to try our first homemade smoked brisket.

We started the fire at 6 am on Saturday morning in preparation for an almost 10 hour smoke.  A liberal sprinkling on both sides of kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, and garlic powder was all the meat required.


It was placed on the grill of the smoker, fat side up, covered, and left alone with the smoke to work its flavorful magic.


Once the meat was done, it was so tender it was hard to remove from the grill.  The smell was so wonderful.  Words cannot do it justice.


I immediately regretted inviting others to share it.  I wanted the brisket all to myself.


As you can imagine, there were no leftovers at all.  Nary a crumble of beef was left on the platter after our feast...


I'm almost sad that there is no brisket left.  I can't wait to smoke another just for the two of us...We have ambitious plans for future smoked briskets.

No comments:

Post a Comment